Taboos in conversation:
- So what do you think about how many people are dying from prescription drugs for pain control?
- My son is struggling with an addiction.
- My son got arrested for drugs.
- My son died of a heroin overdose.
- I need to take time off work to enter a drug treatment program.
- I don’t believe they are bad parents just because their son has an addiction.
- Please, stop talking about that guy like he wants to live this horrible existence.
- Is that Vicodin you got? Did you know that is heroin? Did you know your doctor prescribed heroin? So, you are taking heroin for your toe infection?
- I know he is on probation for drug charges, but I want to hire him to help him get a leg up. Without our acceptance, he will turn to crime to survive.
- Judge, this is not a crime. The man was trying to feel normal again. His brain got re-wired ‘somehow.’ Can we spend the money on getting him help and leave off the stigma?
- Pharmaceutical companies. Period.
Huffington Post is starting the conversation by crossing the taboo line. Please help us get addiction out of the casket and into loving arms!
You are loved, at least by me,
Jane, Matt’s mom